Bellingham Used Cars
There is a lot of really good advice online about how to buy a car! Compiling a lot of that information for Northwest Honda Bellingham, Lynden, Blaine and Mount Vernon Washington customers and feedback here is that information and a list of tips and advice on how to buy a used car.
Benefits of Buying a Used Car
Avoiding depreciation. It’s common knowledge that once a new car drives off the lot, its value depreciates immediately. In the first two years of ownership, a new car can lose about 30% of its original value. Honda is the rare exception to this and you can really not lose anywhere near that if you buy a new Honda and Northwest Honda, serving the Everett, WA areas!
Price. If depreciation is your enemy when buying new, it’s definitely your best bud when you buy a used car. There isn’t much difference between a brand new car and a two year old car. By buying a car brand new, you’re can be paying 30% more than you need to. That’s a big mark-up for that new car smell. The other side to the coin is lower costs of ownership in Hondas, built in warranty and buying new you know what you are getting! There are a lot of good used car makes, Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Volvo. Buying from Bellingham used cars you can be sure you are getting a quality used car in Bellingham that has passed a ridgid inspection process!
Bigger selection. Because used cars are cheaper than brand new cars, you effectively widen the selection of cars you can purchase. Instead of being merely a dream, luxury and sports cars enter the realm of possibility. Online at Northwest Honda you can access over 100 used vehicles and our Used Car Manager can find you just about anything you want!
Save money on insurance. If you buy a considerably older used car, you can save money on car insurance by only getting the state mandated minimum coverage. If your car is worth less than 10 times the premium on your insurance, it’s probably not worth getting comprehensive coverage.
Buy a Used Car from a Private Owner or a Dealership?
When you buy a used car, you have two possible sellers: a private owner or a dealership. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
- Great deals. When you buy from a person who put an ad in the paper or on Autotrader.com or Craigslist.com, you can often find some really good deals. You can find an older car with low mileage because the little old lady who owned the car only drove it to church and the grocery store. The car might smell like mothballs, but you’ll enjoy the sweet scent of saved cash. Be carefull though, if the car has problems because you did not buy it at a dealership you have no recourse. Reputation is important and can be leveraged if you are reasonable. Northwest Honda has a 5 star reputation and is known for not selling junk. Well ship used and new cars all over the United States!
- Less intimidating negotiations. Negotiations can also be less intimidating because you’re working with an average Joe and not some highly trained salesman. Moreover, dealerships often try to throw in unneeded extras when you’re buying from them- extra floor mats, XM Radio, etc. At Northwest Honda we don't play games like this. Our pricing is transparent and set by a third party program that tracks used car prices and sets our based upon pricing from Olympia to Vancouver, Canada.
- Complicated and annoying negotiations. Owners tend to be more attached to their cars than dealerships. To them, they’re not just selling a product, they’re selling a memory. These sorts of owners can be difficult to work with.
- No consumer protections. Private sales aren’t generally covered by many states’ implied warranty laws. Implied warranties are unspoken and unwritten warranties that hold sellers responsible if the product they sold doesn’t meet reasonable quality standards. When you buy from an owner, you’re buying the car “as is,” meaning if the car has a problem (known or unknown by the seller) once you buy the car, it becomes your problem and the seller doesn’t have to do anything to fix it. Moreover, private sales generally aren’t covered by the FTC Used Car Rule which requires dealers to post a Buyer’s Guide in used cars for sale.
- Certified Pre-Owned Program. A CPO vehicle undergoes rigorous mechanical and cosmetic inspection before it’s put on sale. Moreover, CPO cars are often covered by a warranty beyond the original factory warranty which includes items like roadside assistance. Honda has a 100k miles, 7 year powertrain warranty! Even if you don’t buy a certified pre-owned car, when you buy from a dealer, you’re likely protected by your state’s consumer protection laws such as implied warranties or warranties of merchantability.
- Extra services. Dealers will often throw in extra services for free that a private seller can’t. At Northwest Honda we clean and detail, performed a free oil change, and used car inspection on every vehicle!
- Trade-ins. Dealers also take trade-ins which lowers the amount you have to pay in cash. Personal finance guru Dave Ramsey has a system set up that uses trade-ins on used cars to allow him to upgrade his vehicles every year or two without having to take out a loan on his car. Check it out.
- Better negotiation experience (possibly). The negotiation experience can be a bit more even keeled with dealerships. It’s just a business transaction for them. You can avoid some of the emotional baggage you often find when negotiating with owners.
- Financing. If you don’t have all the scratch on hand to buy a used car, a dealership can often provide financing to help you make the purchase.
- Higher list prices. List prices at dealerships tend to be more expensive than when buying from an owner. However, you can usually negotiate this down easily. At Northwest Honda we have taken this out of the equation! We use easy to understand pricing and reason to explain our prices! Using the vAuto tool we price our cars in the market, not you out of the market!
- High-pressure negotiation. Negotiation with car salesman can be more high-pressured than when buying from owners. Selling is what these guys do for a living. They know every trick in the book and will unleash them on you without hesitation. A lot of people come onto the used car lot at Northwest Honda. They are always greeted politely and not badgered at all! Our job is to help inform you! We know that the more you know the better chance we have to sell you a car! That is why people drive from Snohomish, Lynnwood, Everett and Bellevue to Bellingham to buy cars!
- Up-sales. At Northwest Honda we have great after-market products that can enhance and protect your car for years to come. We present these options to every customer and a large portion of those customer buy our extended warranty, paint protection, dent protection and 3m bumper protection products! We won't pressure you, that is not how we do things, but we will show you your options!
- Financing. Financing is both an advantage and disadvantage. Cash is king, but not always feasable! We have hundreds of banks and credit unions that we can help you get a loan through.
Come to Northwest Honda and check out our fast and easy process to buy a car! Transparent pricing and great staff makes Northwest Honda the easy choice to buy a used car in Bellingham!