Bellingham Used Cars
There is a lot of really good advice online about how to buy a car! Compiling a lot of that information for Northwest Honda Bellingham, Lynden, Blaine and Mount Vernon Washington customers and feedback here is that information and a list of tips and advice on how to buy a used car.
Benefits of Buying a Used Car
Avoiding depreciation. It’s common knowledge that once a new car drives off the lot, its value depreciates immediately. In the first two years of ownership, a new car can lose about 30% of its original value. Honda is the rare exception to this and you can really not lose anywhere near that if you buy a new Honda and Northwest Honda, serving the Everett, WA areas!
Price. If depreciation is your enemy when buying new, it’s definitely your best bud when you buy a used car. There isn’t much difference between a brand new car and a two year old car. By buying a car brand new, you’re can be paying 30% more than you need to. That’s a big mark-up for that new car smell. The other side to the coin is lower costs of ownership in Hondas, built in warranty and buying new you know what you are getting! There are a lot of good used car makes, Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Volvo. Buying from Bellingham used cars you can be sure you are getting a quality used car in Bellingham that has passed a ridgid inspection process!
Bigger selection. Because used cars are cheaper than brand new cars, you effectively widen the selection of cars you can purchase. Instead of being merely a dream, luxury and sports cars enter the realm of possibility. Online at Northwest Honda you can access over 100 used vehicles and our Used Car Manager can find you just about anything you want!
Save money on insurance. If you buy a considerably older used car, you can save money on car insurance by only getting the state mandated minimum coverage. If your car is worth less than 10 times the premium on your insurance, it’s probably not worth getting comprehensive coverage.
Buy a Used Car from a Private Owner or a Dealership?
When you buy a used car, you have two possible sellers: a private owner or a dealership. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
- Great deals. When you buy from a person who put an ad in the paper or on Autotrader.com or Craigslist.com, you can often find some really good deals. You can find an older car with low mileage because the little old lady who owned the car only drove it to church and the grocery store. The car might smell like mothballs, but you’ll enjoy the sweet scent of saved cash. Be carefull though, if the car has problems because you did not buy it at a dealership you have no recourse. Reputation is important and can be leveraged if you are reasonable. Northwest Honda has a 5 star reputation and is known for not selling junk. Well ship used and new cars all over the United States!
- Less intimidating negotiations. Negotiations can also be less intimidating because you’re working with an average Joe and not some highly trained salesman. Moreover, dealerships often try to throw in unneeded extras when you’re buying from them- extra floor mats, XM Radio, etc. At Northwest Honda we don't play games like this. Our pricing is transparent and set by a third party program that tracks used car prices and sets our based upon pricing from Olympia to Vancouver, Canada.
- Complicated and annoying negotiations. Owners tend to be more attached to their cars than dealerships. To them, they’re not just selling a product, they’re selling a memory. These sorts of owners can be difficult to work with.
- No consumer protections. Private sales aren’t generally covered by many states’ implied warranty laws. Implied warranties are unspoken and unwritten warranties that hold sellers responsible if the product they sold doesn’t meet reasonable quality standards. When you buy from an owner, you’re buying the car “as is,” meaning if the car has a problem (known or unknown by the seller) once you buy the car, it becomes your problem and the seller doesn’t have to do anything to fix it. Moreover, private sales generally aren’t covered by the FTC Used Car Rule which requires dealers to post a Buyer’s Guide in used cars for sale.
- Certified Pre-Owned Program. A CPO vehicle undergoes rigorous mechanical and cosmetic inspection before it’s put on sale. Moreover, CPO cars are often covered by a warranty beyond the original factory warranty which includes items like roadside assistance. Honda has a 100k miles, 7 year powertrain warranty! Even if you don’t buy a certified pre-owned car, when you buy from a dealer, you’re likely protected by your state’s consumer protection laws such as implied warranties or warranties of merchantability.
- Extra services. Dealers will often throw in extra services for free that a private seller can’t. At Northwest Honda we clean and detail, performed a free oil change, and used car inspection on every vehicle!
- Trade-ins. Dealers also take trade-ins which lowers the amount you have to pay in cash. Personal finance guru Dave Ramsey has a system set up that uses trade-ins on used cars to allow him to upgrade his vehicles every year or two without having to take out a loan on his car. Check it out.
- Better negotiation experience (possibly). The negotiation experience can be a bit more even keeled with dealerships. It’s just a business transaction for them. You can avoid some of the emotional baggage you often find when negotiating with owners.
- Financing. If you don’t have all the scratch on hand to buy a used car, a dealership can often provide financing to help you make the purchase.
- Higher list prices. List prices at dealerships tend to be more expensive than when buying from an owner. However, you can usually negotiate this down easily. At Northwest Honda we have taken this out of the equation! We use easy to understand pricing and reason to explain our prices! Using the vAuto tool we price our cars in the market, not you out of the market!
- High-pressure negotiation. Negotiation with car salesman can be more high-pressured than when buying from owners. Selling is what these guys do for a living. They know every trick in the book and will unleash them on you without hesitation. A lot of people come onto the used car lot at Northwest Honda. They are always greeted politely and not badgered at all! Our job is to help inform you! We know that the more you know the better chance we have to sell you a car! That is why people drive from Snohomish, Lynnwood, Everett and Bellevue to Bellingham to buy cars!
- Up-sales. At Northwest Honda we have great after-market products that can enhance and protect your car for years to come. We present these options to every customer and a large portion of those customer buy our extended warranty, paint protection, dent protection and 3m bumper protection products! We won't pressure you, that is not how we do things, but we will show you your options!
- Financing. Financing is both an advantage and disadvantage. Cash is king, but not always feasable! We have hundreds of banks and credit unions that we can help you get a loan through.
Come to Northwest Honda and check out our fast and easy process to buy a car! Transparent pricing and great staff makes Northwest Honda the easy choice to buy a used car in Bellingham!
Seattle born and now Bellingham native, John Clough is Northwest Honda's resident golf expert. He is a member of the Bellingham Golf and Country Club as well as the Sudden Valley Golf and Country Club. He enjoys playing courses in Whatcom County as well as going down to the Everett, Snohomish, Arlington, Mount Vernon area and playing there as well. He has worked at Diehl Ford, Jerry Chambers Chevrolet, and Wilson Motors, but really enjoys his Honda Crosstour best. He attended Sehome High School and played Baseball, Basketball and Golf there.
Paul was born and raised in Boston, MA before moving to the big city. In New York he worked for many years in the fashion industry. He moved out to the west coast to raise his daughter who is now back in Boston studying at Harvard University. Paul resides in Fairhaven and is a regular at the Bagelry and Boulevard Park. He travels often to Florida to visit family, but when he is home, you will find him riding bike around Bellingham and Chuckanut Drive. He also enjoys taking his boats out into Bellingham Bay and the San Juan Islands. He has been part of the Northwest Honda family for 8 years. Before his time here he sold cars, worked in finance, and managed some other local dealerships like Diehl Ford, King Nissan/ Volvo, and Jerry Chambers. When it comes to choosing a demo Paul chooses the Honda Accord Touring every time.
John is a customer favorite here at Northwest Honda! He was born and spent most of his life in Arlington, (or as he said "Arlingfun" Texas! He now resides in Bellingham and has worked here for 2 years. He spent 8 years previously at Bellingham Chevrolet. Something that is very special about John is that he has been an uncle 64 times!! He has 10 brothers and sisters, and is an uncle 23 times, and great uncle 41 times! Wow! His first car was a 1969 Camaro. He now owns a 2014 Honda Civic EX, which is his favorite Honda of course! John enjoys racing cars, golfing at North Bellingham Golf Course, and water sports at Lake Samish. He enjoys the bond created with co-workers here and interacting with the customers that come in. John's favorite movie is the Fast and Furious movies (all 7 of them!). You might see John out with friends at the Kulshan Brewery, his favorite summertime hangout!
Camille Kim comes from the Banking world and has been one of Northwest Honda’s Business Manager’s for the past six years. She feels fortunate to have learned from some great Mentors who have taught her to always treat her clients with the same respect and service she would want for herself. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends, writing and playing music, watching the Seahawks and enjoying the great outdoors of the Pacific Northwest. She is always happy to help with questions or concerns.
Sam Baylasy enjoys living in Bellingham Washington. She has worked at Northwest Honda for the past four years and has experienced immense satisfaction in providing great service to all of her customers. She enjoys traveling, fishing and hiking with her dog, along with an occasional trip to Seattle for some great food and music. Feel free to contact Sam and she will happily answer any of your questions.
Stephanie is from Lynden Washington and attended high school at Lynden High School where she played basketball and tennis. She also likes to fish for salmon and golf. Coming from Wilson Toyota where she worked in finance and as an internet sales person she really knows her product and why Hondas are such great vehicles. She has a son age two and enjoys working out at Syngery Training Studio.
Morocco was born and raised in Everett, WA before moving up to Bellingham. He is married to our lovely accounts payable clerk Christina! We love having the both of them here! They also have a dog (Stella) and 2 cats (chubbs and char). He is new to sales and is very excited about his new career. His main focus is building a customer base by always taking exception care of each and every customer he comes in contact with so they will always come back to him for their vehicles. His favorite part of his job is getting to know so many new people personally and working for a company that values customer service and it's employees so highly. His first car was a Geo Prizm but his all time favorite vehicle was a 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS that he spent many years modifying into his dream car. Morocco enjoys spending his time working on cars, taking day trips down to Edmonds, WA to spend time with his brother and his wife. He also enjoys working out and spending time with his wife. They frequently hike the Fragrance Lake trails. His current favorite movie is The Revenant. You might find Morocco and Christina hanging out at the Chuckanut Brewery or Lake Padden.
Chase is one of our most savvy salesmen. He is always on the up with the latest technology and is very helpful teaching his customers how to use all of the advanced technology Honda has in their cars. He was born in Blaine but now resides in Bellingham, WA. We have been lucky to have him for 1 year here at Northwest Honda. His first car was a 1988 Honda Prelude SI. His favorite car now is the Honda Accord V6 Coupe with 6-speed manual. He loves the sporty styling and how responsively it performs! Chase enjoys sales because he likes to meet new people daily, hear their stories, and entertaining the kids his customers bring with them! Chase is involved in mens league softball, golfing rain or shine, fishing in the San Juan Islands, and snowboarding at Mt Baker. His favorite movie is Step Brothers "Did we just become best friends? YEP!" and his favorite local hang out is Shuksan Golf Course with 3 of his friends and a 4 stroke lead!
Pete is our in house comedian and prankster. He was born and raised in Hawaii where he graduated from Kailua High School. Growing up he enjoyed activities like scuba diving, body surfing, hang gliding, and horseback riding. He then relocated to Kansas State University for his education. He has always had a passion for music and has enjoyed shows at many local Bellingham venues such as Hotel Bellwether, Skylarks, Honeymoon, Boundary Bay and the Fireside. You may have even seen him performing national events at the US Embassy building as part of a barbershop quartet. If you are lucky when you visit Northwest Honda Pete might play you a tune on our grand piano right on the showroom floor. Pete has 3 children and 4 grandchildren who keep him very busy outside of work. Pete has been selling Hondas for over 14 years and has owned many Honda models himself including his current Honda CRV.
John is a total riot and will have you busting a gut in no time! He was born and raised in Pascagoula, Mississippi but now resides in Birch Bay, WA. He has spent 16 total years in the automotive industry, starting at Jerry Chambers, and the last 10 here at Northwest Honda. John is married and has 5 kids with 11 grandchildren keeping him young. He loves to load up the RV and take as many of them camping as much as possible! Their favorite spot is Camano Island State Park, WA. His first car was a 1964 Ford Cortina, but he and his wife both currently drive the Honda CRV. John enjoys reading about current world affairs and politics at the Bellingham Library. He says the best part about his job is meeting so many local people and getting to know them. His favorite movie is a classic! Fiddler On The Roof!
Originally from New Orleans, Elliot has a great background in helping people and is a pleasure to talk with. He has worked as an Assistant Park Ranger at Silverlake, Dewey Griffin Chevrolet as a sales person, and Bellingham Hyundai in Finance and Sales. He has a degree in Environmental Science from Skagit Valley Community College which he attended after getting off active duty in the US Army as a Combat Medic. He is married with 4 kids and currently lives in Ferndale. His children attended Sehome High School and now Everett Community College with scholarships to play volley-ball.
Alvin was born and raised in Port Townsend, WA before gracing us with his presence in Bellingham, WA. Believe it or not he has been selling cars for 10 years! We are so fortunate to have had him here for the past year. He and his beautiful wife have 2 sons name Tate & Madix. His first car was Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo. His favorite Honda is the Honda Accord Coupe V6 with a manual transmission. Outside of work he enjoys playing basketball and watching the Seattle Seahawks kick butt!!! His favorite part of his job is meeting and helping new people in our community. His favorite movie is a toss up between Gladiator and 300. You might see Alvin out at the batting cages or at the local driving range.
Ross is one of our newest sales associates and our customers are loving him. He grew up in Deming, WA where he graduated from Mount Baker Highschool. He also took advantage of the Running start program at Whatcom Community College. Ross enjoys mountain biking around Washington and British Columbia. Before coming to Northwest Honda he was in sales at a local bike shop. You might see Ross around Whatcom County hanging out anywhere near the water.